Quality Enhancement Program
The Quality Enhancement Program provides assistance to licensed early learning centers and family child care homes to improve and enhance the quality of child care offered, and to increase their star-rated license. The program provides training on the Environment Rating Scales, pre-assessment, consultation and development of a 6-month action plan, one-on-one technical assistance, training, post-assessment, and assistance with star-rated license application.
What is the Quality Enhancement Program?
The Quality Enhancement Program helps licensed child care centers and family child care homes improve the quality of their care and earned a higher Star-Rated License by providing assessment and technical assistance with the Environment Rating Scales used to evaluate the quality of child care programs.
- Infant-Toddler Environment Rating Scale-Revised (ITERS-R)
- Early Childhood Environment Rating Scale-Revised (ECERS-R)
- Family Child Care Environment Rating Scale-Revised (FCCERS-R)
What are the components of the Quality Enhancement Program?
- Initial Assessment and Consultation – Following a training on the Environment Rating Scale appropriate to their child care setting, participants will do a self-assessment and the Quality Enhancement Specialist will do a pre-assessment of the child care environment. A six month action plan will be developed to improve the weakest scores and to strengthen the higher scores on the Environment Rating Scale.
- Training – QEP participants will be offered training focusing on the items of the Environment Rating Scale.
- Technical Assistance – The QE Specialist will provide one-on-one technical assistance with teachers and family child care home professionals based on the initial scores of the Environment Rating Scales, observations, and program requests.
Post Assessment and Rated License Technical Assistance – The QE Specialist will re-evaluate the programs after the action plan is completed and assist with application for increased licensure.
Contact Dare County Child Care Resource & Referral staff at 252-441-0614 or by e-mail for more information:
Emily Kenyon, Early Childhood Specialist