Outer Banks Seafood Festival
Today many of our local fishermen have fathers, grandfathers and great grandfathers who earned their living farming the ocean, oftentimes under adverse conditions. Several fish alone or in small groups. Some fleets run out of Wanchese. In addition, fleets of charter boats run out of marinas on Ocracoke Island, in Hatteras, Oregon Inlet, Pirate’s Cove, and several other locations all bringing fishing enthusiast out for the thrill of fishing in the clean waters that surround the Outer Banks.
The Outer Banks Seafood Festival is an extension of so many other events that have been held to honor our fishing heritage. For years, the Outer Banks held ‘The Wanchese Seafood Festival’ which was a celebration of the industry and the village that was built on bringing in fresh seafood to market. In Hatteras each September, there’s ‘Day at the Docks. on the waterfront in Hatteras village. The event celebrates the working traditions of the waterfront with seafood cooking demonstrations, fishing boat and gear displays, fishing industry skills contests and competitions, local seafood cooking competitions, music, author readings, a chowder cook-off contest, activities for children and concludes with a Blessing of the Fleet.
The Outer Banks Seafood Festival is the result of a renewed desire to bring that history and heritage back to life for visitors and locals alike.
Along with providing the freshest seafood on the Outer Banks, the Outer Banks Seafood Festival aims to:
- Promote the positive social and economic impact of the seafood industry on the citizens of the Outer Banks;
- Educate the public about seafood and its importance to the area’s economy;
- Publicize the wide variety of seafood indigenous to North Carolina and the Outer Banks and provide the opportunity for people to enjoy it;
- Boost tourism and recreation on the Outer Banks in the non-summer months;
- Establish a scholarship program for educational pursuits related to the seafood industry;
- Provide the opportunity for Outer Banks non-profit, civic, church and educational organizations to raise funds through participation in the festival.